One of the common tasks for an Oracle DBA is to set up an existing Oracle instance in Data Guard. Many DBA’s have struggled through the task of setting it up using many different sets of step by step instructions on the internet. However, perhaps the simplest method of setting up Data Guard is to set it up through OEM Grid Control or OEM Cloud Control.
This blog entry contains the step by step instructions for setting it up through OEM Cloud Control.
- Create an Oracle Home on the standby server. If the primary database uses ASM, create an ASM instance on the standby server. The version on the standby instance must be the same Oracle version as the Primary.
- Make sure that both the Primary instance and the standby Oracle Home and ASM instance (if required) are registered in OEM Grid Control/OEM Cloud Control
- In OEM Cloud Control go to the Source database page:
- Under the availability, choose ‘Add Standby Database’, then create new physical standby database, then continue.
- Choose online backup, use recovery manager (defaults), then continue.
- Choose the default under backup options, and enter the Primary host credentials, typically these will already be set up.
- Enter the standby location information.
- Enter the standby database file location information. If you use a file system, you can customize the file locations. OEM Cloud Control requires you to go to ASM when the source is ASM.
- Choose the appropriate options for Oracle restart configuration. Its fairly rare that you want automatic Oracle restart. Typically you do not want automatic restart.
- I prefer to use Data Guard broker. Also, OEM Cloud Control expects to use Data Guard broker, so it is probably best to use the broker.
- Review the information provided, and if all looks right, choose Finish.
- At that point, OEM will submit a job to complete the setup of the standby database.
You can monitor the job through grid control. Once the job is complete, you will see a Data Guard administration page under the ‘Availability’ tab and there you can check on the status of your standby.
Remember to go back and set up the standby target in OEM Cloud Control/OEM Grid Control once complete.